Sunday, April 15, 2018

Spring Roundup


I've been busy sewing this spring.  I've been trying new things as a result of taking a community college sewing workshop with the delightful Kiki Berrett, a very talented clothing designer and nurturing teacher.  
I'm trying to learn some things I've never slowed down enough to learn.  Like welt pockets and just being able to answer questions that arise while I'm sewing.  I've learned a lot.



Here's a shorter tunic than I'm used to making.  It's Katherine Tilton's Butterick 6564.  I love it!  This was one of the most fun, challenging things I've sewn in a while.  One of the good things about it is you can use smaller pieces of fabric from your stash, which I've done here.  I like to make a "muslin" when I first try a pattern, just in case.
The muslin is wearable for sure, and I used stash fabrics!
I found the pattern to be quite large so I used a sloper I have for upper body knit garments and recut the top.  But kept the details the same.  And there are a LOT of details in this pattern.  One that I particularly love is the asymmetrical neckline.

This pocket is really good looking and fun to make.

The contrast fabric, which can be in either woven or knit, wraps around the left side from front to back.  

And the asymmetry is very attractive and a fun element to work with.  There's plenty of room for tweaking in this pattern.  For instance, I didn't insert a little flap that goes into the back left seam.  
I'd say she knocked this one out of the park.  Try it and see what you think!

Here's another Katherine Tilton pattern I've used several times both for vests and jackets, long and short.  It's B5891, the jacket version without sleeves.
The fabric is a lightweight cotton blend that has a natural wrinkled look and a somewhat shiny surface.  I'll be throwing this on over lots of tops this spring and summer.

Those of you who read this blog know that I go to a lot of classes and retreats.  I find myself having to use several totes to get everything in.  You know, lights, extension cords, power strips, pressing hams, you know!
So, I decided to make one very large bag that holds everything.  The cloth is made by Miles Frode, the extremely talented son of Diane Ericson.  I can't resist buying his fabrics.  And I like to use them in a way that show off the whole piece of cloth...like a painting.

I made my first zipper pocket, based on the knowledge from my Kiki workshop.  And yes, I intentionally made it off center, it just looked to normal right below the handles.
I'll get a lot of use from this bag, and a lot of pleasure every time I see Miles' zany designs.

Some of the interior fabrics are mine leftover from the purses I make.



I went to Pajaro Valley Arts opening of their Museum of Curious Perceptions exhibit.  This little museum is in Watsonville, CA, not far from my home in Capitola.  I support them and love their exhibits.
This one has many of my friends in it; women who's art I love and collect.  Here you will see a few favorites from the show.
There's an explanation after each image.











I encourage you to go and see this exhibit.  There's plenty more I didn't get the chance to photograph. It's a fantastic show.

Happy wisteria season!