Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Wedding Outfit

I haven't been to a wedding in years.  I guess I just don't have enough young people in my life. My goddaughter Laurel is getting married in a couple of weeks and I wanted something new for the occasion.

It's an outdoor wedding here on the Central Coast of California so it could be warm, it could be foggy or it could be just downright cold.  Here's what I came up with.

I bought some gorgeous linen from Carol Lee Shanks at DOL Ashland a month ago.  This Style Arc Jema Panel Dress seemed like a pattern that would be easy to wear but has some cool lines that make it a bit more interesting.  Of course you can't see them here...bad photo...but the lines remind me of a Mondrian painting.  It's really a long tunic so I'll wear grey capri length leggings.
Simple and understated, fade into the background garment so I don't look like I'm trying to compete with the bride...not that I could at 68!

But then, it was a little too understated...so I found this gorgeous cotton lace I bought from Marcy Tilton about 87 billion years ago.  It's been fermenting.  I take it out every now and then and dream.  I thought a kimono shaped duster over the grey linen might dress it up just enough.

And now I'm on the hunt for the perfect necklace.

These might do.


I'm just back from a dreamy four days in Tumalo, Oregon with a pack of wonderful quilters.  I'm not a quilter but was inspired by Heidi Emmett's Off The Grid Vest pattern.  I met Heidi at a recent retreat (yes, I'm a retreat addict) and loved her.
I decided to try the vest using my kimono scraps.  I worked on it in Tumalo and have it ready to bind the edges.  Here are the first few pieces up on the design board.

Some of the cuts for the long rectangle pieces that float here and there on the vest.

This is what it takes for me to be a quilter.  Two fingers of Bullet Rye Whiskey.

Heaven.  Thank you Eloise and Victoria for making this happen!

25 comments:

  1. Your outfit for the wedding is stunning! I love the lace duster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn. The lace really makes it I think.

      Delete
  2. Oh, you still might steal the show in that outfit. Great use for that lace, showcasing it without fussiness. Ah, the joys of sewing retreats. My next one is in August and I am planning projects already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree about the garment I chose for the lace. Have fun at your retreat!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful outfit and the lace duster is amazing. Did you use a pattern (and if so which one) or was it self drafted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I started with an old Lois Ericson pattern #327, Kimono Encore. I cut the sleeves down a bit so they wouldn't be so wide.
      I'm not I just saw that Vogue Fabrics online has them. It has several variations.

      Delete
  4. I love the look you've created for the wedding - it looks very dressy with your cotton lace jacket but your linen dress looks very classy too. Love Marcy Tilton's fabrics! She had a similar denim "lace" on her site last month that SORELY tempted me and now seeing your beautiful kimono I'm thinking I shouldn't have been so self-disciplined. I've never been to a sewing retreat but I've been especially tempted with the Tilton retreats here in the Pacific Northwest. (I'm in Victoria BC Canada so it's only a hop and skip away)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcy keeps reordering that denim lace. It's SO popular! It would look great in this style! Thanks for tuning in!

      Delete
  5. Gayle, I follow you on bloglovin. I love, love the necklace....did you make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Mieko Mintz kantha scraps. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  6. Yes, from kantha scraps I got online from Mieko Mintz. Thanks for following me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your outfit is perfect as always. I love that it takes whiskey to quilt! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Applying whiskey never hurts. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  8. Your take on the perfect wedding guest ensemble is just perfect! I can see you looking so chic in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both fabrics are utterly delicious. Somehow I missed that great linen. Love the textures and colours. You will look stunning in these duds. Brava! Your work is always so interesting.
    Vancouver Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't the fabric make or break garments?! Thank you for your nice thoughts.

      Delete
  10. This outfit is just beautiful! I'll have to try the Bullet Rye to get me to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You could try Bullet Rye and not even quilt...it's that good! Think I'm seeing you at Ashland DOL in Oct? If so yay!!! Thanks for thinking it's beautiful!

      Delete
  11. I found your blog from Carolyn. I love how simply elegant that dress is, but the duster - OMG - right over the top perfection! Maybe I need more whiskey in my life - then the quilting I need to do might happen. I can't wait to see your finished duster. Gaylen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you need more whiskey in your life! Thanks so much for dropping by!

      Delete
  12. Love that Gayle. It's a great way to use up all those great scraps we all have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much, MaryGlenn! I've already remade the duster! That kimono shoulder/sleeve were just too bulky for my frame. So I recut it as a regular jacket...much better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your wedding outfit looks perfect - the lace really lifts its game.
    Thank you! You have identified the reason im struggling with quilting. No whisky! I will put that detail right and I'm sure that quilt will fly together 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Th trick is just one glass! Thanks for the kind words and for dropping by!

      Delete