Sunday, February 22, 2015

Still Workin' The Kantha

I can't get enough of the kantha cloth...it calls to me from my stash.  For this necklace I used three templates I made from a Tagua nut necklace I purchases at Tessuti Zoo in Pacific Grove, CA.

I've made other necklaces using this shape because I think it's bold without being overpowering.  





I cut out two different pieces of kantha for each pattern piece so it is reversible.  I kept the edges unfinished; I still love that look.  The other side has lots of dark colors that didn't show up well in the photos so I didn't include them.  

I sandwiched iron on stabilizer between the layers and used a running stitch with buttonhole thread to  sew them together.  Then I simply tied them together with the thread.  It makes the whole thing as light as a feather.


While in Santa Barbara last month I visited Random.  It's a shop that buys all kinds of stuff from furniture to plumbing supplies.   They always have something that will be useful in sewing/making/constructing.  My sewing pal, Janet, found these oval copper jewelry findings that I used as the connectors.  Then I used an old eyeglasses cord made from kimono silk for around the neck.

I love to use what I have in my stash, it gives me more creative power than merely buying more stuff.