Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Back to Black and Gray!

I have to get the taste of my last blog post out of my mouth.  And what better way to do it than with more black and gray!



This is a self drafted pattern from a RTW garment that my friend Sharon bought in Ashland.  It's fairly straightforward.  The original was in a lightweight puffy woven but my first attempt was with several striped knit remnants.   I forgot to take pics of the back but it's yet another stripe.

The armholes were a bit deep and baggy for me so I recut the upper bodice and sleeve parts of the pattern for a tighter fit.



I made it again in this heavy weight heather gray knit.  It's not hugely exciting but will be a workhorse in my wardrobe.  I love the large godet that wraps around to make a side front and back seam.  It makes the tight fitting bodice widen to a flattering drape at the hem.  I'm really happy with this pattern.  And it had to have pockets.  The original only had one.  I've never understood that.  What's the use of ONE pocket??

This will be a TNT for sure.


And here you see a big heap of the muslin I'm working on for my French jacket.  I'm almost done assembling it.  Pal Jenny is coming over Friday to help me with the second fitting.  With these jackets it's all in the fitting.  It has to fit like a glove yet give you room to breath.



More on this in the future...it's a long term project, worked in-between others.